Friday, November 12, 2010

Write Your Principal

It's a good idea. And it complements nicely Dan Savage's It Gets Better Project.

Here's my letter:
Mr. Kozlowski,

I graduated from Brother Rice in 1982. I feel I got a good foundation, and went on to get a BA with honors from Kalamazoo College, and did my graduate work at Southern Methodist University (they only accepted three people in my program that year.) Over the past decade, I've held great positions at Microsoft, Amazon.com, and working for myself.

I only bore you with this minutiae because I actually had the opportunities to experience them. As you know, we've had a spate of suicides nationally due to middle and high school bullying. I'm writing to find out what Brother Rice is doing to confront this.

As a student, I was certainly bullied and beaten (I was a nerd before it was fashionable.) The despair of these students, who will never have the opportunities I have had, resonates with me. I hope it does with you, too.

Any response would be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

--Joe Gallagher

UPDATE: The WYP site featured my letter on their homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment